The 28th of June finally saw me in the Shedquarters to get the long overdue Russian Imperial Stout on the go, Last years recipe was modified to include soft brown sugar as I didn’t have any Candi sugar to hand.
The Brew went well and I finished up with an OG of 1.096 not quite as hight as the predicted 1.112 but stronger than last years…
Irish Ale yeast (WLP004) was used and yesterday (the 12th of July ) I moved it out of the BrewPi controlled fridge and transferred it into the secondary with the french medium Oak Chips, the SG at this point was 1.032 so it’s currently sat at approximately 8.5%. I also gave it a sachet of US-05 to help finish up…..
I have also been modifying the Shedquarters to accommodate the 100Qt (95L) igloo cool box. This involved moving the HLT to a higher level, the shelves should me adequate apparently the have a max load of 66Kg… This should enable me to do larger batches for any special occasions or co-brews and be able to have a full split batch for 2 cornies….
Yesterday’s BrewDay saw me doing a test brew of a Nut Brown Ale Using the yeast from the RIS and my home grown Northern Brewer Hops, it was also a hot Day in the Shedquarters reaching a dizzying 51˚c at head height, needless to say I spent a lot of time hovering in the doorway or outside…
I have just realised there’s a brew day missing… 12/06/2015 ….. Dana III
OG 1.045 FG 1.012 so its approx 4.3%, My Initial tasting after conditioning is its traditional tasting almost a bitter….