Brew update and my take on the Brewpi spark update

The Beer Bellies Brewing Buddies BBQ went down very well the Brewdog samples were tasty if not a tad on the small side… We ended up sampling from champagne flutes and there was a timer running so that things didn’t spread into the wee hours. Very enjoyable and well worth the effort of hosting the event. Once again thanks to Tom for getting the sampling side of things sorted and the everlasting memory of Brommo’s face with all those sour beer samples at the end of the Evening.

I have also managed a Brewday …. Another batch of Wheat Beer… All went smoothly even my very Heath Robinson attempt at implementing a RIMs using a continuously boiling kettle, a feed from the mash tun into the kettle and a pump back to the mash tun . I’ll find out the quality of the brew shortly…
Talking of Heath Robinson.. After the 4 c’s slow cooker event, I vowed to get the 100qt igloo cooler setup as a mash tun . So a search on Amazons storefront resulted in various Stainless Steel fittings being purchased and delivered from China. Last weekend I had a concerted effort at fitting the tap and getting the filter built and installed. I had several attempts at getting it leak proof. The side wall of the tun were being crushed  as I tightened up the Tap nuts, so i decided to  cut a short length of poly pipe  the length ot the  gap betweens the walls and cut it length-wise so it would curl slightly to get it in through the hole and then expand again to stop the walls being crushed, it worked a charm… no more leaks ….

New larger tun
New larger tun
tap
New Tap assembly

I’ve spent an hour flushing it but it still needs a hot wash and thorough clean….

I’ve also been laying out my take on the BrewPi Spark… Although the spark is Now called Particle…

My Particle Brewpi Eagle CAD
My Particle Brewpi Eagle CAD

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 10.41.57

 

My idea was to have a board that anybody could build up from scratch using mainly discrete components with similar connectors to the original, if needs be built on double sided board   without PTH vias . Its was done with a view to replacing the arduino in one of my existing boxes. I may have to change the layout though as I now realise that I should have had a no go zone under the particles antenna, I’ll get it built and see what happens… I can always mod the board and I have enjoyed laying it out …