Since I started off with the STC1000 in a metallic project box and I used UK 3 pin mains sockets for the switched outputs, I decided to keep the transportable nature of the control box when I made the BrewPi . Both the Fridge and heater are relatively low power devices so I Finally chose to use IEC sockets rated at 10A with a trailing single socket, more than adequate..
My first attempt though had fixed power tails and was built using the DIY shield that Elco had published on his website www.brewpi.com
|The MK I BrewPi enclosure|
I then came across an old instrument that was being scrapped and soon after the BrewPi Mk II came into existence.
Now Complete with Elco’s Rev A shield and an internal 5V PSU which means you can power both the RaspberryPi and the Arduino from one box. !
|From the above to the Below|
However I wanted to tinker with the system which I couldn’t do whilst a brew was in the FV and when I came across another old instrument, I built another
My Dev system has several changes, switched mains Input, resettable fuse, only a heat and cool output, 2 probe sockets, now with 5 pin DINs , one wired up as a 4 core and the other wired up as just a probe input. The dev system started off with another version Elco’s DIY shield but then as things developed and code was updated and streamlined in the master branch I decided to butcher the 1st build DIY shield and make it as close to Elcos purchased REV A shield, so that I could use the newer www and script branches. This has left me with a problem, an easy one and a hard one. The easy one is there are no mosfets on board to drive the relatys but teh arduino can easily drive the SSR’s so all i have to do is change the logic levels in code for the on and off states. The hard one is the display was 4 bit mode parallel and I decided for ease of connecting to the existing molex to try and use an I2C display. A challenge to say the least as I’m not a C++ programmer. A lot to learn and hopefully a lot to gain in the process of trying to convert the display class ..
|My DIY Shield- not suited to being Butchered||Elco’s original DIY shield – butchered|