In keeping with my liking for recycling old Instrument cases, I decided that I would build my own version of The BrewPi spark. Elco’s product , the BrewPi Spark, in it’s very compact and very nicely engineered Case. I don’t want to undermine the vast effort that Elco has put into his current product but It just didn’t sit right with the DIY person in me. I also wanted some thing that Fit in with my current BrewPi. So I set about designing my own version of the Spark shield which turned out to be compatible with the BrewPi Spark version 2.0 which uses the Photon.
I used Eagle CAD to layout my shield. I have made my files available.
and used EuroCurcuits in Belgium to make a couple of nice PCB’s
My aim was to be able to hand solder all the components and this is just do-able, yes I used a couple of surface mount devices but with care and a fine pointed solder tip it can be done.
The project stalled a while due to work and Illness but on the run upto Christmas I managed to get the case assembled. The 25A SSR’s fastened on the side panels, which should suffice as heat sinks.
I manually fabricated the rear panel but got a laser cut front panel. The rear panel hosts 4 IEC in and outs relying on the fuse in the IEC feed cable for protection. The Front panel which in retrospect I’m not too sure of the Blue colour was laser cut at my workplace, my Thanks to Andy in the TSS team in The Electronics Dept.
posts related to my BrewPi spark build